Mathematics is an essential component of engineering and forms the foundation of many engineering analysis techniques and concepts.
£100pp for Welsh businesses or employees living in Wales
£600pp for businesses or employees outside Wales
£100 for Welsh businesses or employees living in Wales
£600pp for businesses outside of Wales
Who should attend?
This course is for anyone who wants to brush up on their mathematical skills. This course is designed for individuals who don’t have a specialist in maths but wish to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding.
Course BenefitsThis module aims to develop the participants’ skills in: basic arithmetic; methods of collecting, tabulating and displaying statistical data; the notation and techniques of basic algebra; analysis of graphs of statistical and experimental data; and to boost the confidence of a student who needs to apply numeracy in future studies of their chosen profession.
After completing this module, the student should be able to demonstrate:
- An ability to rearrange and solve equations including common mathematical expressions including indices, logarithms and trigonometric functions.
- An ability to represent equations in graphical terms and identify key features such as stationary points, asymptotes and discontinuities.
- An ability to differentiate basic mathematical functions.
- An ability to solve problems of static mechanics.
- Basic algebra: indices, algebraic expressions, equation manipulation, use of brackets.
- Functions and their graphs: lines, quadratics and polynomials.
- Trigonometry: angles, trigonometrical functions, polar coordinates.
- Exponentials and logarithms.
- Inverse trigonometrical functions.
- Simultaneous equations.
- Sequence, Series& Limits of functions.
- Basic differentiation and Integration.
- Static mechanics - forces, moments, resolving in different directions.
comment If you would like to discuss specific content, then we can arrange an informal discussion with the course tutor.
DurationThis is an online course so can be accessed anytime at your convenience. There is approx. 21-30 hours of course content to complete, depending on your knowledge of subject. There is a tutor who is assigned to the course who will answer any queries and hold tutorials if necessary, he is very approachable and where possible will find a convenient time that works for both of you.
AssessmentAt the end of each section of the course there are a set of questions, they are to test your understanding and to contribute towards your final mark. At the end of the course you will be asked to submit a written assignment which will make up your final mark.
credit_card From £100pp
This course provides an overview of the factors which influence the properties of metals, polymers, and ceramics. Beginning at the atomic level, and including the effects of crystal structure and microstructure, the full array of factors that have an effect on material properties are assessed. In addition, the primary static and dynamic tests used to determine material properties are analysed together with specialised tests used to evaluate the properties of different families of materials.