Who should attend?
Anybody currently working with samples which utilise light and electron microscopy techniques, and are looking to expand their understanding.
To benefit both the company and individual attendee by enabling them to select the correct technique for the application, whilst producing and interpreting better-quality results in less time.
Learning outcomesBy the end of this course students should be able to:
- Understand fundamentals and best practise of light and electron microscopy for imaging. This will enable the student to quickly recognise the virtues and limitations of each technique and apply it to their profession.
- Appreciate how electron microscopy can be utilised for chemical analysis using energy electron dispersive spectroscopy.
- Put theory into practise by learning how to operate various types of microscopes, thereby, gaining a deep understanding of their operation in order to optimise their time and improve their results.
- Form an integrated knowledge platform on the importance of sample preparation and how this directly translates to gaining the best possible results in the shortest amount of time.
Course programmeTheory and understanding of the methods that underpin a wide range of characterisation techniques. Practical implementation of this knowledge by using the following equipment within the Swansea University Advanced Imaging of Materials (AIM) department:
- Sample preparation techniques including metallography and ion beam milling
- Carbon and metal coating
- High quality imaging of metals and non-metals
- Light microscopy including compound and extended depth of field microscopes
- Scanning electron microscopy (secondary, backscatter and variable pressure)
- Energy dispersive electron spectroscopy for chemical composition analysis
- Advanced post processing software
Assessment2 hour written exam.
DatesDay 1: Tuesday 30th April
Day 2: Wednesday 1st May
Day 3: Thursday 2nd May
3 days plus assessment.
Date of assessment to be confirmed with attendee.
LocationSwansea University Bay Campus
To find out more about how much it costs to attend this course and to see if you are eligible for part funding please visit our prices page