The course provides a detailed technical description of the key arc welding processes explaining the effects of changes in welding parameters on weld quality. It provides an understanding of the weldability of both a variety of metals and the range of product grades for a given metal. The course covers the range of static and dynamic testing techniques used for assessing weld quality and the major types and causes of weld defects.
£300 per person
£300 per person
Who should attend?
The course is aimed at people who wish to gain an introductory understanding of arc welding processes with a materials focus. This may include practical welders and technical engineers. No prior knowledge of welding is required.
The course aims to provide an understanding of arc welding processes, basic understanding of weld metallurgy,typical test regimes and an appreciation of the causes of typical weld defects.
- Good understanding of arc welding processes
- A basic understanding of the metallurgy of welds
- An awareness of joint preparation, joint design and selection
- An awareness of weld testing techniques
- An awareness of typical weld defects
- An understanding of the effects of material composition on both selection of welding conditions and weld quality.
- Overview of welding processes
- The basics of metallurgy
- TIG welding
- MIG/MAG welding
- The welding process
- Joint preparation
- Preheat/post heat
- Weldability of different steel types
- Carbon steels
- High strength steels
- Alloy steels
- Stainless steels
- Weldability of aluminium and titanium
- Weld testing
- Destructive testing
- Weld defects
- Advances in welding technology
- Cutting/cladding processes
Assessment2 hour written assessment
DatesDay 1: Monday 12th November
Day 2: Tuesday 13th November
Day 3: Wednesday 14th November
3 days plus assessment.
Date of assessment to be confirmed with attendee.
LocationBaglan Bay Innovation Centre
To find out more about how much it costs to attend this course and to see if you are eligible for part funding please visit our prices page