This course provides the attendee with the practical abilities to carry out sample preparation and testing as well as the theoretical knowledge to interpret results.
Who should attend?
The course will suit technical personnel, engineers and production managers whose roles will benefit from an understanding of practical metallurgy testing and the relationship of test data to physical properties. The delegates do not need to have any formal qualifications but as the course is first year degree level they should be able to engage on a technical course.
To provide the attendee with the practical abilities to carry out sample preparation and testing as well as the theoretical knowledge to interpret results
- Prepare metallurgical samples
- Carry out mechanical testing
- Interpret test data
- Relate microstructure to mechanical properties
- Produce a technical report to communicate findings
Introduction to metallurgical testing
- Metals, alloys, crystals (grains)
- Phases, microstructure, phase diagrams, phase transformations
- The influence of mechanical work and temperature (heat treatment) on microstructure
- The relationship between microstructure and materials properties
- Detailed consideration of two alloy phase diagrams, Cu - Ni and Fe -C.
- Principles of metallurgical etching
- Principles of testing techniques
Practical’s – A number of different alloys will be studied
- Sample polishing
- Metallographic etching and microscopy
- Tensile testing
- Includes the extrapolation of yield, UTS and Young’s modulus
- Hardness Testing
- Impact testing
- Surface assessment
- Identifying grain structure and phases
- Grain size measurement (Mean Linear Intercept)
- Coating thickness measurement
- Fracture surface assessment
- Surface morphology
Report writing of findings including the relationship of microstr
Submission of report of practical write up and conclusions
3 days plus assessment.
To find out more about how much it costs to attend this course and to see if you are eligable for part funding please visit our prices page
How much does it cost? Register for this course