Materials and Manufacturing Education Training and Learning (metal) is an industry demand led project aiming to up skill over 360 people in the field of Advanced Materials and Manufacturing through the provision of short, 10 credit courses at level 4 and above. metal is a work based learning project that focusses on technical training modules to address skills shortages and furnish industry with the skills required to thrive in a knowledge led sector.
metal is based within the College of Engineering at Swansea University, a department that ranks in the top 10 for Engineering in the UK and has gained an international reputation of excellence.
metal offers a series of Credit Qualifications that can be used towards professional development and also further education if desired.
metal has been made possible through £1.1 million from the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government.
What are the benefits?
- Personal development
- Career opportunities
- Enhanced performance
- Improve your promotion potential
- Apply knowledge to make process efficiencies
- Knowledge gained can yield improved productivity and adhere to quality standards
- Employees gain fundamental understanding of processes and gain confidence boosting morale
- Over arching benefit can be a positive impact on company’s reputation and profile from improved customer satisfaction resulting from quality produce and or service.
- Reduction in inefficient use of time and materials
- Positive experience gained via metal training can result in improved team cohesion
What can I do with my qualification?
Your Credit Qualification will be at a European recognised academic level. You can use it;
- As part of your CV to evidence your ability and complement expertise
- As evidence of Continuous Professional Development and put towards professional qualifications such as Chartered Engineer (CEng) status
- To gain a Professional Learner Award by completing six courses
As the courses are credit bearing they can be used towards further learning and gain higher education qualifications. metal offers a progression route for professional learners onto part-time degrees and even up to a full doctorate.
METaL 2 (metal) – Materials and Manufacturing Education Training and Learning Scheme Reference: SA.49704
The objectives of the University shall be to advance learning and knowledge by teaching and research, and to engage in activities to promote and contribute to cultural, social and economic development within Wales and beyond (Swansea University ‐ Supplemental Charter 2007 paragraph 3).
The main objective of the operation is to provide Welsh industry with the necessary technical skills base required to remain competitive in a fast paced global market. This will lead to higher value added products that will ultimately result in a sustainable and prosperous manufacturing sector. The skills base will also result in a competitive job pool providing staff with the technical knowledge for industry to succeed.